Bilge Oil Residue
Last weekend i lifted out all the water hoses and cabling. Now it’s time to tackle that oil residue. It’s black, tacky and smells like tar. I’m still not sure if it is diesel residue or oil. Either way it needs to be cleaned up now so that I can see any further damage to the shell and bearer/stringer tabbing.
Where the reside is thickest it has the consistency of peanut butter. Where it is thinner and more dried on it’s more like soft paint. It is all through the shell a few inches below the cabin sole and into the bilge. It starts just below the forward cabin and extends through to under the galley cupboards and just above the top of the fuel tank.I guess that must be the high water mark when the hatches were left open. At least the rising water stopped beneath the cabin sole; it would have seriously messed up the saloon interior otherwise.
After a bit of experimenting I found the best product to really lift the residue was WD40 engine degreaser. That sprayed via the thin straw attachment really lifted everything from the shell. Heavily set areas were attacked with a wire brush. I then applied undiluted bilge cleaner with a scrubbing brush to further clean the area. Finally i wiped up with paper towel. I did the entire side in sections over a few hours and was fairly satisfied with the result. Once clean I discovered a few further nasties; the tabbing for the forward bearer running under the heads is badly separated. I can’t remove the show sump to access that easily, so will need to get to that via the space in the vanity cupboard in the heads.
Next steps will be to do a bit more detailing to prepare for GRP work