The shipping agent had just called me to let me know the cradle was held up in Miami waiting to clear customs. Miami? Apparently Miami was a transit stop on the outbound route from the UK to Sint Maarten. Therefore the cradle was subject to inspection and customs clearance.
Unfortunately the cradle had not made the initial sailing schedule, which had set things back a week. Now the additional time in Miami would make that worse. How long could customs stare at a cradle for before deciding to allow it pass? Three weeks was the answer to that, and and additional 200 Euro for the honour.
Wanda would now be likely arriving end of April, one month later than originally planned. I was keen to move her as soon as possible, the yard fees in Sint Maarten were adding up. There was nothing I could do but wait, so I decided to have Wanda antifouled to improve her appearance somewhat. I’m not sure how kindly British customs would take to a storm damaged and broken up boat arriving in the UK, so best spruce her up a bit.
I considered the options available locally for antifouling material, and decided to go with Micron International Extra. The Rassys are often red, white and blue; white hull, blue bootstripe and details, red beneath the waterline. I decided to try a blue bottom however. You should replace antifouling every year or two, therefore I can change it back to red again if preferred. I commissioned the yard to buy the materials and do the work.
The surveyor had reported that Wanda had a Maxi prop 3 blade feathering prop, which was a great bonus. Therefore I also asked for a treatment of Prop Speed to the propellor to keep things Bristol. I had used Prop Speed before in Hong Kong, and though it is pricey it makes a big difference. Then came the bad news; the propellor had not survived life without it’s sacrificial anode. Barnacles and electrolysis had pitted and ruined the bronze. Oh well… just add ‘needs new propellor’ to the growing list of issues with Wanda