I headed out to Wanda today with the intention of setting up protective plastic sheeting in preparation for the grinding work. Instead I ended up spending the day ripping up the original water hoses. This came about due to an uneasy feeling that there was still many concealed places that could be hiding more problems. To put my mind at ease I lifted up the rest of the cabin sole. Sure enough hidden behind the black oil residue were further instances of broken GRP.
I guess there is no avoiding the deeply entrenched problems with Wanda; the safest approach is to assume everywhere there can be damage there will be damage. This is definitely becoming a bottom-up project where I need to almost start from the beginning and rebuild Wanda from the hull up. The starboard settee houses a water maker; this needs to come out now to see what lies underneath. For now I don’t have time to remove that.
Hidden in the murk
The oil stain in the bilge makes it difficult to easily spot problem areas of the shell. I have been putting off the job of cleaning that up for some time as i wanted to focus on other tasks. However it is probably time to tackle this. All of the cables and water hoses are covered in this gunk and contribute to the problem. I think it’s time to start ripping up all of this so I can properly clean up the oil. There is no point working around it, i’m now completely resolved to start from the bottom and take everything back to bare.
As keen as I was to start cutting hoses and ripping them up, I thought it would be prudent to map out each of the water hoses. I counted 7 running along that channel.
After a lot of head scratching I figured out most of them; three ran up to the heads for hot water, cold water and salt water. Four for the water maker; salt water in, fresh water out, saline pump out and a fourth one to be determined. As previously experienced, some of the systems in Wanda have been left a bit half-baked; first cables that connect to nothing and now water hoses leading nowhere.
I cut each of the hoses using the multitool-tool and was stung by the stench of putrid water. A very eggy smell hung in the air. I emptied each section of hose into the bilge before pulling them away from the channel and tossing them outside.
Finally I have unhindered access to the entire shell in the saloon. With all the water hoses and cable removed it is very easy to get to all of the sections where the cabin sole bearers are tabbed into the shell. The next step will be to clean up all that oil. More about that next week…