Wow, it has been such a long time since my last post. I have been considering what to do with the blog for a while. It’s probably no surprise that I have found I get more people watching the you tube videos I post than people reading this blog. In fact it’s probably only my Mum persevering with this blog as most people live on you tube these days, so for her sake at least I should probably maintain this blog a little better. The truth is both video blogs (vlogs) and traditional blogs both take up considerable time. I spend much time editing videos, and blogging takes a different type of concentration and effort. That is why I haven’t posted here for a while. So perhaps I should start with a review…
What’s been happening with me….
First off, I am in a very fortunate position whereby I have the financial freedom to allow myself to take 4-6 months off work. My goal is to spend as much of this time as possible working full time on Wanda. By the time I need to return to work I should be in a position whereby the main repair work has been done. Hopefully by then I will be more in the pottering around phase, rather than the slogging it out stage.
What’s been happening with Wanda…
Second, I have moved Wanda to a new boat yard. Wanda had in fact been in the previous yard for 6 months, and not a lot of work had happened. It became apparent that the business operating model was pretty much that of a boat yard fully engaged in moving, storing, launching boats, with some odd repairs on the side when time permitted. As previously stated, I do need help with the GRP repairs. I concluded that through no fault of the yard, Wanda needed more attention and specialist repair than suited the yard.
Also, the shed Wanda was housed in was not quite as good as I had hoped. The roof was not quite high enough to provide enough space to work; I had to be crouched over whilst working on the deck. There were also some low hanging beams that were at head bashing height which always made me nervous; working on Wanda’s deck means a working height of about 4 metres off the ground. That is a considerable fall should I accidentally knock myself out on a low hanging rafter. In fact, I have since heard of an incident where a chap working on his boat in the same shed wacked his head on the beam resulting in a serious gash, and a red deck.
Storage was an issue also; I had hoped for a workspace where I could spread out. It’s not easy working on Wanda when she is full of stuff, I had wanted to empty her out completely to make working internally more free from clutter. Unfortunately there was just not enough space left in the shed for that.
For all the above reasons, I decided to move to greener pastures. I now have a bright, clean, dry and spacious workshop; since being there I have made so much more progress. You can see a video that deals with the topic of moving here:
The great thing about the new boatyard is that they are not actually a repair shop per se. Therefore I have permission to bring in any contractor I wish to work on Wanda. This was a limitation of the previous yard; basically I could only use their people or people they had agreements in place with. I have found a very experienced shipwright called Anthony from Harrington Yacht Services. You can see his website here: https://harringtonyachtservices.com
Anthony came recommended from a fellow boat owner, and has also worked with David, the surveyor who specified the approach for repairs. What I like about working with Anthony is he thinks things through thoroughly before doing anything, and takes his time to explain to me the approach he wants to follow and gets right down into the details. He is also supportive of my desire to work alongside him and do as much as I can within my ability to keep costs down. So far so good. We have spent about a week of intensive preparation of the interior shell, which I hope to publish soon.
I have come up with a good way of removing the teak decking. This will be a massive job. I did quite a lot of research to determine the best way to remove the old teak from the deck. Like most repair approaches there is more than one way to achieve the desired outcome, with pros and cons to the different approaches. The most common approach is to use a chisel/crowbar to wrench the teak from the deck. However, some of the adhesive used is so strong that it will pull the gel coat and/or the substrate away as it is removed. That means a lot of effort is required afterwards to patch up all the damaged substrate.
I have settled on using a electric planer to plane strips of the teak away from the deck; down to 1 or 2 mm. I then use a heat gun and a scraper to break the bond with the adhesive and lift off the last layer of teak from the deck. Although this requires more effort and is more time consuming, it does leave the deck substrate in tact. This will ultimately save time later on. Videos of that procedure can be found here:
Well, thats about it for this time. I will try and make my next post more timely, in the mean time don’t forget to check for entries on my YouTube channel found here: